Thursday 28 February 2013

Pink Floyd The wall music video and film


Pink Floyd's The Wall  was the most intriguing and imaginative albums in the history of the rock genre, released in 1797. Not only did they produce a music video for The Wall but also a British live-action/animated musical film was made which featured each song off the album in 1982. The film was directed by Alan Parker and the screenplay was written by Pink Floyd vocalist Roger Waters. There is little dialogue in the film as the film is mostly driven by Pink Floyd's music, but it is rich in symbolic imagery and sound. In total the film contains fifteen minutes of animation by Gerald Scarfe who is an illustrator and known as an political cartoonist.



The Wall analysis.com has a complete detailed analysis of every song on the album which was featured in the film. I found this website very useful as I found the narrative a bit confusing in places so I could carry out research to see the artist intentions and meaning to the song and how it is represented in the film. 
http://www.thewallanalysis.com/main/

The narrative follows Pink Floyd from a young child in post-World War II England to a self-imposed isolation as a world famous rock star, leading to a climax where he an emotional breakdown and a destructive time. I found the narrative to be quite confusing and didn't understand it when I watched it. After watching the film and a discussion with friends who I watched it with, we all had different interpretations of what was happening in the film. I also didn't find the narrative too exciting and instead I found it dull and grim. I wasn't too keen on the animation even though it thought it was clever how it changed from live action to animation in shots and how it was symbolic. However I did like the visuals in the film as they were very unique at the time the film came out which for me was one of the best aspects of the film.
 Overall I think the film was good at the time when it was released but today I don't think it was that that good as technology has moved on. I didn't like the film but I thought it was revolutionary to have a music video for The Wall as well as a film that features every song of the album. Its a great idea to publicise the band and it's songs. However I'm not sure I this could be achieved today as there is much more artists out there and to achieve this the artist would have to have a large audience and is very well known. It would be nice to see this in the industry today and I know that some artists have had a movie about their self such as Katy Perry: Part Of Me and Justin Bieber: Never Say Never.
I also know a Korean artist who have released three music videos for a song, for example T-ara. T-ara released  three music video's for their song Day By Day which was released in 2012. There was a dance version, where all members dance choreographed moves for their song, and two drama versions, which also feature other songs off the Day By Day album. I really liked the drama versions I though they were a good idea and different to having just one music video. However it is not the first time T-ara have had more than one music video for their songs.



No comments:

Post a Comment